Spanish prosecutor seeks arrest of alleged ex-Nazi camp guards
Spain's public prosecutor Friday sought international arrest warrants for three alleged former Nazi concentration camp guards in connection with a case filed by families of deported Spaniards, judicial sources said.Madrid -- Spain's public prosecutor Friday sought international arrest warrants for three alleged former Nazi concentration camp guards in connection with a case filed by families of deported Spaniards, judicial sources said.
The prosecutor called on National Court Judge Ismael Moreno to issue the warrants against three men named in the case: Johann Leprich, 84, Anton Tittjung, 85, and Josias Kumpf, 84. Officials did not say in which countries the three men were living.
But they did not seek a warrant for John Demjanjuk, 89, the alleged former death camp guard deported from the United States earlier this month, who is also cited.
Demjanjuk was deported to Germany, which accuses him of taking part in the deaths of at least 29,000 Jews when he was a guard at the Sobibor Nazi concentration camp in what is now Poland.
"The investigation now has indications of the participation of the persons cited and of the actions committed in the Nazi concentration camps of Mauthausen, Sachsenhausen and Flossenberg during World War II," the prosecutor's office said.
The Spanish lawsuit demanded that all four men be extradited to Spain to stand trial for crimes against humanity over the death of Spanish citizens at camps at Flossenberg and Sachsenhausen in Germany and at Mauthausen in Nazi-occupied Austria where they allegedly worked as guards.
But prosecutors had until now said there was insufficient evidence to back such a move.
Spain's National Court accepted the suit last July under Spain's principle of "universal jurisdiction," under which crimes against humanity, war crimes, terrorism and other serious offences can be prosecuted in Spain even if they were allegedly committed abroad.
AFP / Expatica