Siemens delays UMTS mobile launch

9th March 2005, Comments 0 comments

9 March 2005, HANOVER - Siemens, the German electronics group whose mobile phones have been praised technically but disparaged for their lateness to reach the market, said on Wednesday its first UMTS handset developed in-house would go on sale in September, late again. Other manufacturers have rushed out handsets that can handle the new third-generation (3G) wireless standard known as the Universal Mobile Telephone System (UMTS), and Siemens has so far had to buy outside technology to avoid being left far

9 March 2005

HANOVER - Siemens, the German electronics group whose mobile phones have been praised technically but disparaged for their lateness to reach the market, said on Wednesday its first UMTS handset developed in-house would go on sale in September, late again.

Other manufacturers have rushed out handsets that can handle the new third-generation (3G) wireless standard known as the Universal Mobile Telephone System (UMTS), and Siemens has so far had to buy outside technology to avoid being left far behind.

On the Hanover fairground, where the industry's annual CeBIT fair was to open its doors on Thursday, the company said two of the 15 new mobile handsets it would launch this year would be UMTS-capable.

UMTS services, which are currently coming on stream around the world, are the second of the 3G technologies off the starting blocks. There are no 3G services yet in China, which is experimenting with a third type of 3G technology.

On Tuesday, Siemens announced further cost-cutting in the loss-making mobile-handset division including a pullout from unprofitable markets. The German-based group has indicated it might sell the mobile-phone division once its losses have been staunched.

CeBIT, which was to be formally opened with speeches Wednesday evening, runs till 16 March.

DPA

Subject: German news 

 

0 Comments To This Article