Serbia set to prosecute former Gestapo member

28th April 2009, Comments 0 comments

Last year, prosecutors asked for a probe into Egner on the grounds that as a member of the Gestapo during World War II, he had organised the execution of Jews and other civilians at a camp in Belgrade and another in a suburb of the city.

Belgrade -- Serbia's prosecutor for war crimes said Monday that measures were in hand to strip a former Gestapo member, Peter Egner, of US nationality so that he could be prosecuted for Nazi war crimes.

"The procedure to deprive Peter Egner of his American citizenship is under way," prosecutor Vladimir Vukcevic told journalists. "After that, we will take steps to have him extradited."

The US Ambassador to Serbia, Cameron Munter, told a joint press conference, "American authorities are working with Serb authorities in the way mentioned by Mr Vukcevic."

At the end of last August, Vukcevic asked for a probe into Egner, 87, on the grounds that as a member of the Gestapo during World War II, he had organised the execution of Jews and other civilians at a camp in Belgrade and another in a suburb of the city.

He is also suspected of participating in building several concentration camps in Belgrade in 1941 and 1942.

According to the Serbian media, Egner is allegedly responsible for the deaths of about 17,000 people.

More than 24,000 died in the Staro Samjiste concentration camp in Belgrade during the Nazi occupation of the city, and almost 80,000 were executed at Jajinci in the suburbs of the capital.

AFP/Expatica

0 Comments To This Article