Security tightened at German schools after threat

7th December 2006, Comments 0 comments

7 December 2006, Offenburg, Germany (dpa) - Schools in south-west Germany remained on alert Thursday, a day after a threatened attack by an apparently disgruntled student failed to materialize. Three people were taken into custody for making what police called copy-cat threats, following Wednesday's incident in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg. An 18-year-old student suspected of making the original threat to cause a bloodbath at a school near Offenburg was found dead Wednesday after shooting himself with h

7 December 2006

Offenburg, Germany (dpa) - Schools in south-west Germany remained on alert Thursday, a day after a threatened attack by an apparently disgruntled student failed to materialize.

Three people were taken into custody for making what police called copy-cat threats, following Wednesday's incident in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

An 18-year-old student suspected of making the original threat to cause a bloodbath at a school near Offenburg was found dead Wednesday after shooting himself with his father's pistol.

Police said an examination of the youth's computer and private documents gave no indication that he was responsible for the threat, which was made on the internet.

Police said one of three detained Thursday admitted sending an email vowing to create havoc at another school. Police were questioning him and two accomplices to see if they were responsible for the original threat.

Police searched three schools in southern Germany on Wednesday, following the internet warning passed on to authorities by two fellow students who learned about it during an internet game.

The original suspect, described by police as an "introverted loner," was a pupil at a local college, but had previously attended two other schools in the Offenburg area.

Police searched pupils of all three schools when they arrived for lessons on Wednesday and kept a vigil outside the buildings.

Germany has been on edge about security at schools since November 20, when an 18-year-old youth went on a shooting spree at his former school at Emsdetten, on the Dutch border, wounding five people before shooting himself dead.

A week later police questioned teenagers in Berlin and a town on the French border after they made threats on the internet to attack schools.

A search of the home of the Berlin teenager turned up an arsenal of 13 imitation guns.

On Thursday, police also questioned an unarmed youth who threatened his teacher and fellow students, and also took a 16-year-old into temporary custody after he told an internet chatline that he felt capable of running amok at his school.

DPA

Subject: German news

Click here for more German news

0 Comments To This Article