Restaurant slaying suspect denies role in massacre

8th February 2007, Comments 0 comments

8 February 2007, Sittensen, Germany (dpa) - A lawyer representing one of two Vietnamese suspects in this week's bloodbath at a Chinese restaurant in Germany said Thursday his client denied all involvement. Of the seven dead, two hailed from Hong Kong, one from Thailand and one from Malaysia. The other three have not been identified yet by police, who also decline to disclose any suspected motive for the Sunday night shootings of restaurant owners, waiters and cooks. "My client told me he has nothing to do

8 February 2007

Sittensen, Germany (dpa) - A lawyer representing one of two Vietnamese suspects in this week's bloodbath at a Chinese restaurant in Germany said Thursday his client denied all involvement.

Of the seven dead, two hailed from Hong Kong, one from Thailand and one from Malaysia. The other three have not been identified yet by police, who also decline to disclose any suspected motive for the Sunday night shootings of restaurant owners, waiters and cooks.

"My client told me he has nothing to do with this, and neither does his friend," said lawyer Wilfried Behrendt representing a 31-year-old suspect.

The attorney said he had applied for his client's release and believed a fellow lawyer from the same office would do likewise for the other Vietnamese. Both had earlier been remanded in custody by a magistrate in the town of Wildeshausen.

Police spokesmen said Thursday they did not know the ethnic or language affiliations of the South-East Asian victims or the suspects, who were detained when their rental car was stopped on a country road Monday.

The Lin Yue restaurant at Sittensen, halfway between Hamburg and Bremen, was run by a couple from Hong Kong. Its Chinese cuisine was popular among diners in the town.

The 31-year-old suspect has lived for several years in a neat, new four-apartment block surrounded by gardens at Osterholz on the outskirts of the city of Bremen, neighbours said.

Reporters could see a golden Buddha statue on the balcony of one of the apartments, part of a smart new housing estate.

Police refused to comment on news reports that the man had a police record. Behrendt confirmed he had legally represented the client for a considerable period, but declined to say in what matter this was.

Neighbours said the other suspect, 29, had recently moved into the block after living in the nearby German town of Ahlhorn. Police have searched all the premises and said they had seized documents, but gave no other details.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article