Prosecutors: pizzeria suspects not linked to murders

14th January 2008, Comments 0 comments

Three Italians suspected of operating a front are not linked to the Mafia murders in Germany last year, officials say.

Kempten, Germany (dpa) - Three Italians suspected of establishing a forward base in Germany for the 'Ndrangheta organized-crime movement do not appear connected to a gangland-style slaying last year in the city of Duisburg, a prosecutor said Monday.

One man from the group, based in a pizzeria in the Alpine town of Sonthofen in southern Germany, is still at large. The other two were arrested by Italian police last autumn in San Luca, the Calabrian town where the 'Ndrangheta is based.

Like the Mafia of Sicily, the 'Ndrangheta makes money from vice and drugs. A feud between two of the many rival clans within the 'Ndrangheta has been blamed for last August's shooting of six in a dark alley near a Duisburg Italian restaurant.

Peter Koch, spokesman for the prosecutors in Kempten, southern Germany, said investigators were not aware of any connections between the clan that set up the Sonthofen base and the Duisburg killings.

The Sonthofen base, fronting as an ordinary restaurant offering bargain Italian cuisine, was suspected of managing cocaine smuggling and the swapping of counterfeit banknotes for genuine money.

0 Comments To This Article