Poland mourns victims of Katowice disaster

30th January 2006, Comments 0 comments

30 January 2006, WARSAW/KATOWICE - The death toll in Poland's tragic Saturday building disaster was revised down from 67 to 62 victims Monday as justice officials made positive identifications of the dead, Poland's Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro confirmed.

30 January 2006

WARSAW/KATOWICE - The death toll in Poland's tragic Saturday building disaster was revised down from 67 to 62 victims Monday as justice officials made positive identifications of the dead, Poland's Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro confirmed.

"There is of course still the possibility more victims will be discovered at the site," Ziobro said, admitting more bodies could be found beneath the wreckage.

Police on Monday were searching for five people registered missing after the disaster, including one Hungarian national.

Sniffer-dog teams were looking for more remains Monday before heavy equipment would be brought in to remove the close to 10,000 square meters of twisted and mangled steel girders and sheet metal roof which crashed down in seconds on an estimated 700 people.

So far, police have identified six foreign national among the dead including two Czechs, two Slovaks, one Belgian and one German.

Hundreds of people were visiting a homing pigeon exhibition in the sprawling Katowice hall when the snow-covered roof caved-in.

Building owners insist it had regularly been cleared of snow but official investigators believe half a meter of ice and snow were on top of the roof before it collapsed.

The reasons behind the disaster were under investigation, but showing journalists thick slabs of ice collected from the collapsed roof, Minister Ziobro said it would be "naive" to believe tons of ice on the roof played no role in the catastrophe.

Polish President Lech Kaczynski has declared three days of national mourning until Wednesday.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article