One German killed in Egypt resort attacks
April 25, 2006, CAIRO - Egyptian authorities arrested eight suspects on Tuesday in connection with three bomb attacks in the Red Sea resort of Dahab a day earlier that claimed at least 22 lives and injured dozens.
April 25, 2006
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities arrested eight suspects on Tuesday in connection with three bomb attacks in the Red Sea resort of Dahab a day earlier that claimed at least 22 lives and injured dozens.
The suspects, all Egyptians, were detained as they were leaving the resort town, and were being interrogated, a security source said.
Six of the 22 dead were foreigners - one each from Germany, Switzerland, Lebanon and Russia, and two others whose origin had not yet been identified, the interior ministry announced, and at least twelve were Egyptian.
The origin of the remaining victims had not yet been determined as attempts to identify recovered body parts continued.
Over 60 individuals were injured in the attacks including dozens of foreigners.
The government said the closely-spaced evening blasts occurred in two restaurants and near a supermarket in Dahab, a snorkeling spot on the Sinai peninsula. President Hosny Mubarak said the attacks were the work of terrorists.
Hotels on the Red Sea coast were filled with holidaymakers during the Sham al-Nassim spring holiday, suggesting the bombings were meant to target Egypt's vital tourism industry just as it revives from previous attacks.
Egyptian state television said the blasts apparently were not set off by suicide bombers.
Following similar terror attacks in the past, Egyptian authorities have conducted wholesale arrests of suspects. After the October 2004 Taba Hilton bombing, over 2,500 Bedouins and other Sinai dwellers were arrested.
Some of those detainees were tortured, local and international human rights organizations reported.
Meanwhile, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier condemned the "murderous" bomb attacks on an Egyptian resort in which a German child was killed.
"The German government severely condemns these murderous attacks which have claimed so many innocent lives and injured many more," said Steinmeier in a statement.
Steinmeier said the bombings once again showed that "terrorists, in their blind hatred, will stop at nothing."
Subject: German news