Norway royals consider action against magazines

26th May 2005, Comments 0 comments

26 May 2005, OSLO - Norway's royal family is considering legal action against several German gossip magazines for publishing false stories about Crown Princess Mette Marit's son, reports said on Thursday.

26 May 2005

OSLO - Norway's royal family is considering legal action against several German gossip magazines for publishing false stories about Crown Princess Mette Marit's son, reports said on Thursday.

The gossip magazines alleged that eight-year-old Marius - who the crown princess had in a previous relationship - is cut off from the rest of the royal family and suffering from depression. Other reports claimed he was threatened by kidnappers.

"They are reacting to the focus on a child, in this case Marius," court spokeswoman Astrid Versto told the Verdens Gang newspaper.

The royal family in neighbouring Sweden retained German media lawyer Matthias Prinz a few years ago to review questionable reports, which helped stem the flow.

Prinz succeeded in getting several magazines to publish corrections and retractions of faulty or incorrect articles, and last year said he would not be surprised if the gossip magazines run more stories on the Norwegian royals.

Crown Prince Haakon and Mette Marit have a one-year-old daughter Ingrid Alexandra, and are expecting a child in December.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article