No change to German threat level after US travel alert
There is no reason to change Germany's security threat level in response to a US travel alert warning of potential terrorist attacks in Europe, the interior ministry said Sunday.
Germany has "still no concrete indications of imminent attacks" and authorities "are constantly reviewing the need to update security measures", the ministry said in a statement.
"The government does not currently see any reason to modify its evaluation of concrete risks," added the text.
Berlin had been informed of advance by US authorities of the travel alert and is working in close cooperation with the security agencies of the United States and other international partners, said the minstry.
The US State Department issued a formal alert on Sunday urging Americans to take precautions in public places and transportation systems when travelling in Europe.
The alert -- which the State Department issues regarding specific events, and is one step down from a travel warning -- follows intelligence reports which suggested an Al-Qaeda attack could be imminent.
News media in the past week reported that Western intelligence agencies had uncovered an Al-Qaeda plot to launch attacks in Britain, France, Germany and the United States.
The chairman of the parliament's interior committee, Wolfgang Bosbach, said there had been "no indication of an attack on a concrete target at a specific moment".
There is "no reason to panic and no reason to fundamentally strengthen security measures", he said in comments to appear in Monday's issue of the Koelner Stadt-Anzeiger newspaper.
© 2010 AFP