Nazi war criminal has work permit revoked

19th June 2007, Comments 0 comments

19 June 2007, Rome (dpa) - A military judge in Rome has revoked a work permit granted only a week ago to Erich Priebke, a 93-year-old convicted Nazi war criminal. Judicial sources said the concession was reversed because Priebke, who is serving a life sentence under house arrests, had failed to notify officials about his movements. But one of his lawyers told newspapers Tuesday that judges had probably bowed to pressure after dozens of protesters had confronted the former SS captain outside his office in c

19 June 2007

Rome (dpa) - A military judge in Rome has revoked a work permit granted only a week ago to Erich Priebke, a 93-year-old convicted Nazi war criminal.

Judicial sources said the concession was reversed because Priebke, who is serving a life sentence under house arrests, had failed to notify officials about his movements.

But one of his lawyers told newspapers Tuesday that judges had probably bowed to pressure after dozens of protesters had confronted the former SS captain outside his office in central Rome.

"It sounds like a pretext," lawyer Giosue Bruno Naso said of the judges' decision.

Priebke, who turns 94 next month, traveled to the city center for his first day at work early on Monday morning aboard a scooter driven by his other lawyer, Guido Giachini. He had tried to conceal himself behind a pair of dark glasses but was nevertheless identified by paparazzi, who chased him around the city.

Priebke then spent about six hours at work while protesters, mostly youths from Rome's Jewish community, gathered outside his study, screamed "murderer" at him and held up anti-Nazi signs.

The former SS captain was convicted by a military tribunal in Rome in 1998 for his role in the March 24, 1944 Fosse Ardeatine massacre, in which German soldiers shot dead 335 civilians in a cave in the outskirts of the Italian capital.

The victims included 75 Jews and at least one child. The massacre was thought to have been ordered by Adolf Hitler in response to the killing by Italian Resistance fighters of 33 German soldiers a day earlier.

Priebke was handed a life sentence but was granted house arrests in view of his advanced age.

Last week's decision to allow him to go to work had infuriated Jewish groups in Rome and Israel as well as members of Italy's center-left government.

Italian Defence Minister Arturo Parisi has said he plans to meet military prosecutors to discuss their handling of the Priebke case.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article