Mother who starved child indicted in Germany

9th September 2005, Comments 0 comments

9 September 2005, DUSSELDORF, GERMANY - A mother who confessed she starved her three-year-old daughter to death, dismembered the body and kept it for two years in rubbish sacks on an apartment balcony has been indicted for murder, a German prosecutor said in Dusseldorf Friday.

9 September 2005

DUSSELDORF, GERMANY - A mother who confessed she starved her three-year-old daughter to death, dismembered the body and kept it for two years in rubbish sacks on an apartment balcony has been indicted for murder, a German prosecutor said in Dusseldorf Friday.

The 27-year-old, who earned her living from an internet sex site, was accused of killing her daughter to save having to spend money on doctor's visits, prosecutor Ralf Herrenbrueck said.

No charges have been laid against the father, 35, who said he did not notice for more than two years the girl was gone. He claimed he only came home to sleep in the subsequent 11 months, and then moved out. In January, the accused admitted the October 2002 killing.

The case is one of several horrific stories of parental cruelty that have shocked Germans this year. A mother and father are currently on trial in the port city of Hamburg for starving their seven-year-old daughter, Jessica, to death in her apartment bedroom.

Prosecutors admitted this week they are having difficulty assembling a homicide case against another women who allegedly killed nine of her newborns between 1988 and 1999 and buried the tiny bodies in balcony planters.

Pathologists who studied the skeletons cannot establish what they died of. The mother, 39, who was arrested last month in the eastern city of Frankfurt-an-der-Oder, has not explained their deaths.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article