Merkel vows to unearth truth in neo-Nazi murder case

19th November 2011, Comments 0 comments

German Chancellor Angela Merkel called Saturday for light to be shed on a killing spree by a neo-Nazi group said to have murdered 10 people over a decade in a case that has shocked the nation.

"We will not rest until the truth about these acts comes out," Merkel said in her weekly video podcast.

"We and the families want to know who is guilty, if there are accomplices and what the links between the two are," she said, offering her condolences to the families of the victims.

Germany is reeling after the discovery last week of a small far-right group believed to be responsible for the unsolved murders of eight men of Turkish origin and a Greek between 2000 and 2006 as well as a policewoman in 2007.

The killings had long been called the "kebab murders" because many of the victims ran snack shops.

The National Socialist Underground group is also suspected of carrying out an attack on a majority Turk neighbourhood in Cologne in 2004 which left 20 people injured.

A 36-year-old woman and another suspected accomplice are in custody, while two men, also in their 30s and found dead in an apparent suicide, left behind a DVD in which they claimed responsibility for the murders.

Two other suspects were also identified Friday, police said, without giving further details.

The crimes were "a shame for Germany", said Merkel, questioning how the group, apparently known to the authorities, could have slipped under the radar to carry out its crimes.

"Should things have been done differently? What can be improved?" she said.

As Germany now decides whether to pursue a ban on the neo-Nazi National Democratic Party of Germany, police are probing the existence of a possible support network for the group.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article