Man on trial over racist attack on Indians

3rd December 2007, Comments 0 comments

3rd December 2007, A man is set to go on trial in Germany over a racist attack on a group of Indians in the eastern town of Muegeln which caused an international uproar.

3rd December 2007

A man is set to go on trial in Germany over a racist attack on a group of Indians in the eastern town of Muegeln which caused an international uproar.

He was the fourth to be charged over the August violence, in which a brawl blew up at a dance and eight Indians were chased across a street. The mob tried to break into a pizza parlour where the men had taken refuge.

The man, 23, faces charges of race hate, which is part of the crime of sedition, and damaging property. His appearance in the district court in Oschatz, eastern Germany will be the first time the charges have been aired in public.

He has not admitted the charges. The court is expected to pass verdict the same day.

A youth, 18, was last week given a fine in court of 600 euros (900 dollars). That hearing was closed to the media because of his age. Two other Germans have received summary fines of 1,500 and 2,625 euros.

Victims suffered bruises and other injuries.

The incident, in which the mob yelled racist slurs, causing outrage in Germany and India, occurred in the early hours of August 19 as a town festival attended by both Indians and Germans was drawing to a close.

A mob of around 50 pursued eight Indians across a street after an incident on a dancefloor set up on the town square. They took refuge in a pizzeria run by one of the Indians. News pictures of the beaten Indians were shown around the world.

The Indian manager of the pizza parlour, who was one of the injured, will be among the eight witnesses.

Prosecutors said four of the other Germans who were present were also investigated, but there was not enough evidence to prosecute them.

Two police officers were also injured in the incident, which provoked soul-searching in Germany about a long and continuing series of racist incidents, mainly in the eastern states that once formed communist East Germany.

Prosecutors in the nearby city of Leipzig said they were still investigating the brawl on the dancefloor and treating this as a separate incident, with testimony about it contradictory.

A 22-year-old man is appealing against his summary fine and his case is likely to be heard in January.

DPA

Subject: German news, racist, Indian

0 Comments To This Article