Lebanon asks UN to extend Hariri murder probe

13th October 2005, Comments 0 comments

13 October 2005, BEIRUT - The Lebanese cabinet on Thursday officially requested that the mandate of the U.N. probe into former premier Rafik Hariri's assassination be extended to December 15, Information Minister Ghazi Aridi said.

13 October 2005

BEIRUT - The Lebanese cabinet on Thursday officially requested that the mandate of the U.N. probe into former premier Rafik Hariri's assassination be extended to December 15, Information Minister Ghazi Aridi said.

The extension is so that Lebanon's own judicial system can "pursue its work ... which will require assistance from the (U.N.) commission on some questions," Aridi said.

The move followed an announcement by Prime Minister Foaud Seniora last week that he wanted the probe, headed by German prosecutor Detlev Mehlis, to continue its work until the end of the year.

Mehlis has returned to Lebanon to draft his report on the probe, which is due to be presented to the U.N. security Council in two weeks.

The cabinet's request comes a day after Syria's interior minister and former strongman in Lebanon, Ghazi Kenaan, committed suicide in his office in Damascus on Wednesday.

Kenaan was one of a number of senior Syrian figures questioned by Melhis in Damascus last month.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article