Lebanese reject torture claim in German terrorism case

19th November 2008, Comments 0 comments

The defense at the Dusseldorf trial asserts that the men planted the two bombs as a hoax.

Dusseldorf, Germany -- Lebanon's chief prosecutor has angrily rejected a torture allegation by an imprisoned Islamist, a German police officer told a terrorist bomb conspiracy trial in Germany Tuesday.

German authorities say two bombs planted on trains on July 31, 2006 brought it within a hair's breadth of disaster. Neither exploded.

Former student Jihad Hamad has been jailed in Lebanon for the attack and his friend Youssef al-Hajj, 24, is on trial in Dusseldorf.

Said Mirza, the Lebanese prosecutor general, had been "utterly infuriated" by the "lying" claim in court last week that he had personally threatened Hamad, with a beating, the federal officer said.

Mirza had said he had only met the prisoner once and that was in the presence of German police liaison officers.

The defense at the Dusseldorf trial asserts that the men planted the two bombs as a hoax and is seeking an acquittal. Prosecutors say the attack was only thwarted by a construction mistake in the bombs.

The verdict at the trial has been delayed probably until next month by the late arrival of 188 pages of Lebanese notes on the interrogation of Hamad in Beirut.

DPA/Expatica

0 Comments To This Article