Kosovan charged with killing two US soldiers in Germany

7th July 2011, Comments 0 comments

German federal prosecutors said Thursday they had indicted a 21-year-old Kosovan over an attack on US troops at Frankfurt airport in March that killed two airmen.

"There is sufficient evidence against the accused to show that he killed two US American soldiers perfidiously and for base motives on the afternoon of March 2, 2011," the federal prosecutor's office said in a statement.

The suspect, identified only as Arid U., had been charged with two counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder for the shooting rampage after he allegedly stormed a US military bus parked at the airport, it added.

Arid U. shot dead the two airmen and seriously injured two others while shouting "Allahu Akhbar" ("God is Greatest"), according to prosecutors.

He then allegedly put his handgun to a fifth serviceman but it jammed. Pursued by this serviceman, he fled into the terminal building where he was overpowered and arrested.

Prosecutors say he succumbed to the influence of Islamist propaganda and aimed to avenge what he saw as atrocities by US troops in Afghanistan.

It has been called the first Islamic extremist attack on German soil.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article