Germany still needs to process Nazi-era claims

11th July 2006, Comments 0 comments

11 July 2006, BERLIN - There were still 41,700 outstanding applications at the end of last year for compensation relating to property seized by Nazi Germany, the government said Tuesday.

11 July 2006

BERLIN - There were still 41,700 outstanding applications at the end of last year for compensation relating to property seized by Nazi Germany, the government said Tuesday.

The deadline for filing Third Reich property claims formally closed on June 30, 1993.

But the German government has followed what it terms a "flexible" approach to claims filed since that date, said a statement published by parliament.

The government assumes that most claims relating to Jewish-owned property seized by the Nazis between 1933 and 1945 have already been dealt with, said the statement.

The German state has paid out about 55 billion euros (70 billion dollars) since 1945 in compensation for Nazi crimes.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article