Germany slams 'baseless' Belarus plot claims

20th January 2011, Comments 0 comments

Berlin rejected on Thursday "baseless" accusations by Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko that Germany and Poland were seeking to oust him from power through protests last month.

"The (German) government categorically rejects this accusations. These baseless charges are intended to detract attention from the real injustice," Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said in a statement.

"The EU needs to find a clear political answer to events surrounding the presidential election (of Lukashenko last month) and the continued incarceration of opposition politicians and their supporters."

The European Union said on Wednesday it would reinstate a travel ban on Lukashenko if he failed to release the opponents that he jailed on the night of his controversial December 19 re-election.

Washington is also exploring a range of possible sanctions.

But the threat of his government losing international recognition has put the unpredictable Belarus leader in a fiery mood that saw him pin the blame for the former Soviet republic's troubles on Poland and Germany.

The German foreign ministry added that it intended to summon the Belarussian ambassador for the third time in recent weeks.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article