Germany says no evidence of Iranian threat to US targets

1st December 2011, Comments 0 comments

Investigations yielded no evidence to back up claims that Iran was planning to attack American targets on German soil, the federal prosecution service said Thursday.

"There is the beginning of a suspicion of an espionage activity for the purposes of sabotage. There were investigations which failed to support this suspicion," a prosecution spokesman told AFP.

Mass circulation daily Bild earlier reported that Tehran had drawn up plans to attack US forces in Germany to disrupt logistics and supply lines in the event of US military action against Tehran.

The head of the federal prosecutors' office, Harald Range, confirmed an investigation had been launched and officers conducted a house search in early November.

The head of the federal crime office, Joerg Ziercke, added: "We do not see any immediate danger right now."

Bild said a probe had been launched against a German businessman with close links to the Iranian embassy in Berlin on "suspicion of acting as a foreign agent with the intention of sabotage".

A US European Command spokesman said all threats to American interests on German soil were taken "very seriously".

"Commanders at every installation ... have the option to increase force protection measures based on their local security environment. We do not discuss specific security measures or any specific threats," he added.

There are approximately 55,000 US military personnel in Germany, not including their family members or civilian employees.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article