Germany probes reported Iranian plan to attack US targets
Federal prosecutors in Germany said Thursday they had launched an investigation into reports Iran was planning to attack American targets in Germany in the event of a US attack on Tehran.
Mass circulation daily Bild earlier reported that Tehran had drawn up plans to attack US forces in Germany to disrupt logistics and supply lines in the event of a conflict.
"We have an investigation on this issue," the head of the federal prosecutors' office, Harald Range, told reporters.
However, the head of the federal crime office, Joerg Ziercke, stressed: "We do not see any immediate danger right now."
Bild said officers had already conducted a house search in early November in connection with the investigation but Range confirmed only "operational measures" had been taken.
A probe had been launched, according to Bild, against a German businessman with close links to the Iranian embassy in Berlin on "suspicion of acting as a foreign agent with the intention of sabotage".
© 2011 AFP