Germany detains fifth man in massacre

27th June 2007, Comments 0 comments

27 June 2007, Sittensen, Germany (dpa) - German police detained a fifth Vietnamese man Wednesday in an inquiry into a February bloodbath that left seven Asians dead at Chinese restaurant in a country town. Police say the murders of the restaurant's Scottish-Chinese owner, his wife and five staff were the outcome of an armed robbery and had no link at all to any organized crime gangs. The latest man detained, 42, had been an occasional kitchen porter at the Lin Yue restaurant in the town of Sittensen and ha

27 June 2007

Sittensen, Germany (dpa) - German police detained a fifth Vietnamese man Wednesday in an inquiry into a February bloodbath that left seven Asians dead at Chinese restaurant in a country town.

Police say the murders of the restaurant's Scottish-Chinese owner, his wife and five staff were the outcome of an armed robbery and had no link at all to any organized crime gangs.

The latest man detained, 42, had been an occasional kitchen porter at the Lin Yue restaurant in the town of Sittensen and had passed on "inside knowledge" about its behind-the-scenes organization to the other suspects.

Police said he had been under scrutiny since early in the inquiry. The chief detective, Andreas Tschirner, said he had been promised a share of the booty in the plot.

The dead included staff from Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. Police had earlier arrested four prime suspects, all Vietnamese nationals living long-term in Germany. Three are to go on trial on July 18.

The suspects are accused of tying up and torturing the staff after hours and stealing notebook computers, mobile phones and 5,000 euros (about 7,000 dollars). A 29-year-old allegedly shot dead all seven.

Only the restaurant owner's baby daughter survived unhurt.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article