Germany arrests Rwanda genocide suspect for third time

26th July 2010, Comments 0 comments

Federal prosecutors said Monday that a former Rwandan mayor had been arrested for a third time in Germany over his alleged involvement in the country's 1994 genocide.

Onesphore Rwabukombe, a 53-year-old ethnic Hutu, "is strongly suspected of assassinations and genocide" against ethnic Tutsis, said a statement from the prosecutor's office in the southwestern German city of Karlsruhe.

He was already held in Germany from July to November 2008, when a court in the western city of Frankfurt ordered his release based on a ruling of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda against similar extradition cases.

But on December 18, the federal prosecutor's office sought a new arrest warrant saying it was privy to information that the lower court had not seen based on an investigation it had been conducting since March that year.

He was imprisoned from December to May 2009 but released due to insufficient evidence.

A new German warrant was issued on July 21 following an investigation by the federal prosecutor.

The Rwanda government accuses the former mayor of involvement in the systematic killing campaign in 1994 which left an estimated 800,000 dead, most of them Tutsis.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article