Germans investigated for Czech WWII crimes

23rd August 2007, Comments 0 comments

23 August 2007, Stuttgart (dpa) - Two 78-year-old Germans are under investigation in connection with the massacre of 63 Czechs in the final days of World War II, prosecutors said Wednesday. The two men are suspected of having participated in the mass murder in the town of Velke Mezirici on May 7, 1945, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office in Stuttgart said. The suspects were members of the Hitler Youth when they allegedly took part in the execution of the unarmed civilians, media reports in the Czech

23 August 2007

Stuttgart (dpa) - Two 78-year-old Germans are under investigation in connection with the massacre of 63 Czechs in the final days of World War II, prosecutors said Wednesday.

The two men are suspected of having participated in the mass murder in the town of Velke Mezirici on May 7, 1945, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office in Stuttgart said.

The suspects were members of the Hitler Youth when they allegedly took part in the execution of the unarmed civilians, media reports in the Czech Republic said.

Spokeswoman Bettina Vetter said the men had been questioned and were not in detention. One of the men had denied any involvement in the crime, she said.

The other admitted to being at the scene when suspected partisans were executed by firing squad, but said he did not kill anybody. His role was to make sure that none of the suspects escaped, Vetter said.

Investigations were still pending and prosecutors had asked Czech authorities to provide them with archive material in connection with the case, she added.

A spokesman for the Czech prosecutor's office in the town of Brunn said his department had been investigating the incident since July 2005.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article