German woman loses 'spider shock' court battle
The woman lost her suit against a cleaning company, whose negligence she claimed resulted in an accident due to a surprisingly-placed spider.Berlin -- A German woman who fell down and broke her wrist after being confronted by a giant black spider in her garage has failed in her bid to sue her cleaners for negligence, a court ruled on Tuesday.
The spider dropped down to her head level, whereupon she jumped back and suffered "a bruised right pelvis, bruises to the right side of her face and a complicated break of the right wrist," the court in Karlsruhe said.
She tried to sue the cleaning company, which was supposed to clean the garage of cobwebs, to the tune of 6,000 euros (8,560 dollars), claiming their negligence was responsible for her injuries.
But the court rejected her argument, saying: "Even the regular adherence to the monthly duty of clearing away cobwebs could not guarantee that no spiders would appear."
"What happened here was an everyday risk, for which the defendant should not be held responsible," the court concluded.