German two-year-old dies from E. coli
A two-year-old boy became on Tuesday the first child to die in an outbreak of a virulent strain of E. coli in Germany, authorities said, taking the death toll to at least 37.
The child died in hospital in the northern state of Lower Saxony overnight to Tuesday after becoming infected with enterohaemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC), local authorities said.
Previously the youngest victim from the weeks-long outbreak, which authorities on Friday blamed on vegetable sprouts from an organic farm in northern Germany, was a 20-year-old woman.
All but one of the fatalities have been in Germany, with the other being a woman in Sweden who had recently returned from Germany. More than 3,000 people have also fallen ill in at least 15 other countries.
© 2011 AFP