German tsunami missing toll drops to 678

11th January 2005, Comments 0 comments

11 January 2005, BERLIN - The number of Germans still missing after last month's Indian Ocean tsunami disaster has declined to 678 after tourists returning home reported to police, a German Foreign Ministry official said on Tuesday. More than 40 people feared missing in South Asia had reported they were safe over the past 24 hours, said Deputy Foreign Minister Klaus Scharioth. A total of 60 Germans have been confirmed dead and about 300 injured Germans had been evacuated from the region, he said. Scharioth

11 January 2005

BERLIN - The number of Germans still missing after last month's Indian Ocean tsunami disaster has declined to 678 after tourists returning home reported to police, a German Foreign Ministry official said on Tuesday.

More than 40 people feared missing in South Asia had reported they were safe over the past 24 hours, said Deputy Foreign Minister Klaus Scharioth.

A total of 60 Germans have been confirmed dead and about 300 injured Germans had been evacuated from the region, he said.

Scharioth said identifying the dead was moving slowly because German experts sent to the region had to rely on DNA and dental records.

"This could take a long time ... it's very complicated," he warned.

While calling on German tourists to stay away from stricken regions, Scharioth stressed that visits to other parts of countries hit could go ahead given the vital nature of tourism to the area. 

DPA

Subject: German news 

0 Comments To This Article