German police arrest suspect in Cologne bombing

9th July 2004, Comments 0 comments

9 July 2004 , COLOGNE - Prosecutors in said Friday that a 23- year-old German man had been arrested as the main suspect in a nail bomb attack in a Turkish quarter of the city last month. The prosecutor's office and police said that man was arrested in his home town of Lauterbach, about 120 kilometres east of Cologne. The suspect had been brought to Cologne in the meantime. "We believe that the arrested person is the man pictured on the wanted poster with his bicycle," Cologne chief prosecutor Rainer Wolf s

9 July 2004

COLOGNE - Prosecutors in said Friday that a 23- year-old German man had been arrested as the main suspect in a nail bomb attack in a Turkish quarter of the city last month.

The prosecutor's office and police said that man was arrested in his home town of Lauterbach, about 120 kilometres east of Cologne. The suspect had been brought to Cologne in the meantime.

"We believe that the arrested person is the man pictured on the wanted poster with his bicycle," Cologne chief prosecutor Rainer Wolf said, in reference to surveillance photos which showed that the nail bomb had been brought to the site on a bicycle.

Police said, however, that the arrest had not followed from picture on the wanted poster, but rather from a tip-off from the general public.

"We have brought him to Cologne and he is now being questioned at police headquarters," a police spokesman said.

"The questioning will now try to determine whether the suspicions can be substantiated or disproved," the spokesman said. Under German law the suspect can be held until Saturday, when he must either be released or appear before an arraigning judge.

The nationality of the suspect is a major concern in view of the fact that the June 9 nail bomb attack took place in a busy ethnic Turkish street in Cologne's district of Muelheim. All but one of the 22 wounded persons were Turkish.

The nail bomb was brought by a person on a bicycle who parked the bike outside a hairdresser's salon, walked away, and then detonated the bomb off by remote control.

The blast destroyed the salon and a neighbouring pizzeria and shattered shop windows within a radius of 100 metres.

Afterwards, no person or group claimed responsibility for the attack, leaving German law enforcement officials in the dark as to what the motive might be - whether it was a terrorist act or possibly a dispute between rival Turkish businessmen.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article