German in sex case with underage British girl not to attend court

3rd July 2008, Comments 0 comments

German youth accused of sexually abusing younger girl will not attend court proceedings

Berlin -- A German youth charged with having sex with an underage English girl in a Turkish holiday resort last year will not return to Antalya when proceedings restart this week, his lawyers said on Wednesday.

Marco Weiss, who was 17 at the time of the incident, would not fly out to Turkey for Friday's proceedings, nor would his parents, the lawyers said.

The defence lawyers predicted the case would be adjourned once more, as certain documents had not yet been made available to the defence by the court.

The documents concern a psychological evaluation of the alleged victim by Turkish forensic experts.

Weiss, 18, is charged with sexually abusing the girl in a hotel room in the Turkish resort in April last year. She has only been named as Charlotte and was 13 at the time of the incident

His eight month detention and repeated court appearances last year drew media attention in all three countries, as well as criticism in Germany.

Weiss was freed in December last year, returning to Germany to spend Christmas with his parents amid widespread publicity.

He subsequently gave a television interview maintaining his innocence, insisting that Charlotte had pretended to be 15 and that she was a willing partner in a sex act that fell short of full intercourse.

Her parents have said that their daughter was raped.

0 Comments To This Article