German given suspended sentence in violent racist attack

14th January 2008, Comments 0 comments

A German man received no jail time after being convicted of incitement to racial hatred in an attack on eight Indians in eastern Germany.

Oschatz, Germany (dpa) - A German court Monday handed down a six-month suspended sentence to a 22-year-old German accused of chasing and beating up Indian nationals last year in the town of Muegeln.

The man was convicted of incitement to racial hatred for his role in the attack. Through his lawyer, the man told the court in the town of Oschatz he could not remember what happened last August.

He was the third person convicted in the attack. Last month a court sent a 23-year-old man, described as the leader of the mob, to jail for eight months.

The racist violence, in which 50 men pursued eight Indians across a street after a brawl during a town festival, made headlines round the world. Prosecutors said they did not have enough evidence to charge an additional four suspects.

The angry crowd yelled racist slurs and tried to break into a pizza parlour where the Indians had taken refuge on August 18.

Police dispersed the attackers. The Indians suffered bruises and black eyes.

0 Comments To This Article