German agent suspected of serial murder

17th July 2006, Comments 0 comments

17 July 2006, KASSEL, GERMANY - Authorities have quizzed an agent in Germany's domestic security agency is connection with a series of killings targeting foreigners. Prosecutors said that the unnamed man had been suspended from duty but was not in detention after a search of his apartment failed to link him directly to any of the nine victims. Police were alerted to the agent after he was spotted leaving an internet cafe in the northern city of Kassel one minute before the owner, a 21-year-old Turk, was sh

17 July 2006

KASSEL, GERMANY - Authorities have quizzed an agent in Germany's domestic security agency is connection with a series of killings targeting foreigners.

Prosecutors said that the unnamed man had been suspended from duty but was not in detention after a search of his apartment failed to link him directly to any of the nine victims.

Police were alerted to the agent after he was spotted leaving an internet cafe in the northern city of Kassel one minute before the owner, a 21-year-old Turk, was shot dead there on April 6.

Two days earlier, another Turk aged 39 was shot and killed in his kiosk in the city of Dortmund.

All the victims were shot with a Czech-made 7.65mm Ceska 83 pistol in what prosecutors called execution-style killings. Eight of those killed were Turks, one a Greek.

Police are baffled by the murders, which began in September 2000 and have targeted the owners of small businesses in six cities, including Hamburg in the north and Munich in the south.

Nothing was stolen and the victims appeared to have offered no resistance.

Prosecutors said they could not explain why the agent had failed to reported being in the internet cafe, despite a request from police for witnesses to come forward.

The victims appear to have been chosen at random, Dortmund prosecutor Heiko Artkaemper said after eighth killing in April.

The only thing the victims had in common was that they were foreign and operated small businesses like kiosks or Turkish food outlets, prompting the German media to dub the case the "Kebab Murders."

Police said there was nothing to suggest a political motive, blackmail or drugs involvement.

Authorities have offered a reward of 30,000 euros ($36,000) for information leading to the arrest of the gunman.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article