German Islamists planning attacks in Afghanistan, police say

4th April 2008, Comments 0 comments

A spokesman said the BKA had warned partner organizations and institutions that might be the target of such attacks.

Wiesbaden, Germany -- Two members of the German Islamist scene are planning terrorist strikes in Afghanistan, Germany's Federal Crime Office (BKA) said on Thursday.

A spokesman said the BKA had warned partner organizations and institutions that might be the target of such attacks.

He was commenting on a report in the online edition of the news magazine Focus, which spoke of planned suicide bombings at German installations in Afghanistan.

One of the suspects, identified as Eric B, aged 20, was reported to be in Afghanistan's neighbor Pakistan. German organizations in Afghanistan had been sent a photo of him, Focus said.

The report said security officials believed the suspect planned to attack German soldiers, but did not rule out that civilians might also be targeted.

Germany currently has around 3,200 troops in Afghanistan where they are mainly carrying out social reconstruction missions in the relatively peaceful north.

Early last month a German Muslim of Turkish origin was reported to have carried out a suicide attack on the Sabari District Centre in the eastern province of Khost.

Spiegel Online published a video reportedly from the Taliban showing the alleged bomber, 28-year-old Cuneyt Ciftci from the southern state of Bavaria.

DPA with Expatica

0 Comments To This Article