Four released in German restaurant inquiry

21st February 2007, Comments 0 comments

21 February 2007, Hanover, Germany (dpa) - Police investigating the grisly shootings of seven ethnic Asians in a restaurant in Germany released four Vietnamese men Wednesday, a day after the quartet had been taken in for questioning. German law bars people being held longer than overnight unless a magistrate finds compelling evidence against them. Police were still holding two Vietnamese arrested one day after the February 4 bloodbath in the town of Sittensen. A police spokesman in Hanover said items seize

21 February 2007

Hanover, Germany (dpa) - Police investigating the grisly shootings of seven ethnic Asians in a restaurant in Germany released four Vietnamese men Wednesday, a day after the quartet had been taken in for questioning.

German law bars people being held longer than overnight unless a magistrate finds compelling evidence against them. Police were still holding two Vietnamese arrested one day after the February 4 bloodbath in the town of Sittensen.

A police spokesman in Hanover said items seized Tuesday when the four were detained were still being examined by police scientists to establish if there was firm evidence against them. Police had searched six homes and what was termed a "Chinese" take-away bar on Tuesday.

Police offered no further comment on the progress of the inquiry by a task force of more than 100 detectives.

Police said Tuesday they had found the first solid proof against one of the original suspects: a bloodstain on the 31-year-old man's clothing. The other chief suspect, 33, failed last week in an application to a judge to be released.

The mysterious February 4 killings of Danny Wing Hong Fan, 36, who had lived in Glasgow, Scotland most of his life, and his Berlin-born wife, 28, both British citizens, and their five staff from four Asian nations has shaken the Chinese community in Germany.

The staff killed in the Sunday night massacre hailed from Hong Kong, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand. The only survivor was the 2- year-old daughter of the Lin Yue restaurant's owners.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article