Four charged in mob attack on Indians

14th November 2007, Comments 0 comments

14 November 2007, Leipzig, Germany - A German police inquiry into a racist attack on a group of Indian men has been completed with four of the eight suspects charged, prosecutors said Tuesday.

14 November 2007

Leipzig, Germany - A German police inquiry into a racist attack on a group of Indian men has been completed with four of the eight suspects charged, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Eight Indian men were chased out of a tent and across a street on August 18 at a festival in the town of Muegeln. The yelling pursuers tried to break into an Indian-run pizza parlour where the men had taken refuge.

The Indians all suffered injuries including bruises and black eyes.

The mob attack caused a national outcry in Germany. India demanded a complete investigation.

Prosecutors in the city of Leipzig said the outcome had been one man, 35, accepting a summary fine of 1,500 euros (2,190 dollars) for sedition.

A summary fine of 2,625 euros has now been decreed on a second man, 22, for sedition, but is not yet final.

A third man, 23, goes on trial on December 4 for sedition and damage to property. A fourth has been indicted. There was insufficient evidence to charge the other four who had been assault suspects.

Prosecutors said an inquiry was continuing into a brawl between the Indians and local German men on a dance floor which preceded the racist attack, but was being hampered by the contradictory claims about who started it.

Two policemen and two Germans were also hurt in the violence.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article