FIFA happy with German World Cup preparations

8th March 2005, Comments 0 comments

11 March 2005, ZURICH - The ruling body FIFA is delighted with host Germany's preparations for the 2006 World Cup where it plans to use part of the team bonuses to insure the players, FIFA boss Joseph Blatter said. "We are more than satisfied," said Blatter after German organisers led by Franz Beckenbauer reported to FIFA's World Cup organising commission. "Nothing can go wrong from the organisational point of view. Everything they deal with is done properly. That is more than first class," he added. Becke

11 March 2005

ZURICH - The ruling body FIFA is delighted with host Germany's preparations for the 2006 World Cup where it plans to use part of the team bonuses to insure the players, FIFA boss Joseph Blatter said.

"We are more than satisfied," said Blatter after German organisers led by Franz Beckenbauer reported to FIFA's World Cup organising commission.

"Nothing can go wrong from the organisational point of view. Everything they deal with is done properly. That is more than first class," he added.

Beckenbauer said that all preparations for the 9 June 9 July 2006, tournament were going according to plan.

He said that 11 of the 12 World Cup stadiums will be ready by May, with the renovation of Kaiserslautern's stadium to be completed in October.

Beckenbauer also told FIFA that Dortmund's Westfalen-stadium, with 60,000 seats one of the biggest venues, remains part of the World Cup plans despite the huge financial problems of the club, Borussia Dortmund.

It was also announced Monday that so far 2.3 million applications have been made on the official website (www.fifaworldcup.com) for a first contingent of 812,000 tickets.

German organisers and FIFA expect 5 million applications by the 31 March deadline, with the lucky ones to get tickets drawn by lot on 15 April.

FIFA also said that it is insuring the World Cup players against disability on its own by freezing EUR 11 million, or five percent of the EUR 220 million bonuses for the 32 World Cup teams.

Those who suffer career-ending injuries at the tournament will be compensated through this fund, while the money will go to the teams if the players stay healthy.

German FIFA executive board member Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder said the decision on the EUR 11 million fund was made because not all national teams have insurances for their players. 

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article