Euro 2004: Hitzfeld the onlycandidate for Germany job

29th June 2004, Comments 0 comments

29 June 2004 , HAMBURG - German football (DFB) supremo Gerhard Mayer- Vorfelder broke his silence this week after mounting criticism and said that he was talking only with Ottmar Hitzfeld about the national team coaching job. "I have been in contact with Ottmar Hitzfeld for a few days. There has been neither direct nor indirect contact with other coaches, incuding Christoph Daum," Mayer-Vorfelder said in a press release at the former German Euro 2004 camp in Almancil. Mayer-Vorfelder did not give any furth

29 June 2004

HAMBURG - German football (DFB) supremo Gerhard Mayer- Vorfelder broke his silence this week after mounting criticism and said that he was talking only with Ottmar Hitzfeld about the national team coaching job.

"I have been in contact with Ottmar Hitzfeld for a few days. There has been neither direct nor indirect contact with other coaches, incuding Christoph Daum," Mayer-Vorfelder said in a press release at the former German Euro 2004 camp in Almancil.

Mayer-Vorfelder did not give any further details, but sources told Deutsche Presse-Agentur, dpa, that the tlaks were progressing well. Hitzfeld, however, wants to talk things over with his family, whom he initially promised a break from the job after being forced to leave Bayern Munich last month.

Mayer-Vorfelder made his statement after coming under heavy fire earlier Monday for his intention to find the new national team coach in succession of Rudi Voeller (who resigned Thursday following Germany Euro 2004 exit) on his own and not in co-operation with league and club officials.

Werner Hackmann, head of the league DFL, said he had not heard anything on the issue since Friday, the day after Rudi Voeller resigned as coach in the wake of the team's Euro 2004 elimination.

"I can not tolerate this on behalf of the league," Hackmann said at the Euro finals in Portugal.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge agreed.

"He (Mayer-Vorfelder) must work together with Hackmann, (World Cup 2006 organising committee head and DFB board member) Franz Beckenbauer and opinion leaders in the Bundesliga," said Rummenigge.

"He is not acting well from a tactical point of view. Mayer- Vorfelder would be well advised not to do this on his own."

Mayer-Vorfelder on Saturday slapped an information ban on his search for a new coach, with Hitzfeld considered the favourite but Christoph Daum reportedly a candidate as well.

Rummenigge said that a Bundesliga working group on the national team agreed that Daum, a designated Germany coach in 2001 who was then dropped in the wake of a cocaine affair, was not a suitable candidate.

Reports last week said that Mayer-Vorfelder personally favoured Daum over Hitzfeld, but Rummenigge dismissed this by saying that knew from sources close to Mayer-Vorfelder that "Ottmar Hitzfeld is his number 1 candidate".

Mayer-Vorfelder confirmed this in his statement and dismissed the criticism as well by saying that he was following the DFB rules.

"The DFB rules say that the president holds talks with the candidates for the job. The decision is then made by the DFB leader board. Nothing else has happened and nothing else is planned," he said.

Rummenigge reiterated that Hitzfeld was the best choice to give the team a boost ahead of the 2006 World Cup in Germany - which was also in Munich's interest.

"We at Bayern Munich with our six or seven German internationals are interested in the DFB having visions and a good perspective," Rummenigge said.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article