Defence calls for release ofNazi suspect war massacre

27th September 2004, Comments 0 comments

27 September 2004 , MUNICH - The defence lawyer for a former Slovak soldier on trial in Germany for a World War II massacre called Monday for the man to be released from custody during the trial. Lawyer Steffen Ufer said there was no "urgent suspicion" against Ladislav Niznansky on the charge of taking part in the murders of 164 men, women and children. He presented the court in Munich documents questioning the reliability of the main witness in the case, a former member of Niznansky's unit. Ufer told the

27 September 2004

MUNICH - The defence lawyer for a former Slovak soldier on trial in Germany for a World War II massacre called Monday for the man to be released from custody during the trial.
Lawyer Steffen Ufer said there was no "urgent suspicion" against Ladislav Niznansky on the charge of taking part in the murders of 164 men, women and children.

He presented the court in Munich documents questioning the reliability of the main witness in the case, a former member of Niznansky's unit.

Ufer told the court there was no danger the ailing 86-year-old defendant, now a German national, would abscond if released during the trial which began earlier this month.

The court is expected to make a decision on the defence application within a few days. The trial continues Tuesday.

The indictment against Niznansky, who commanded a Nazi-led anti-partisan force, says he personally fired the sub-machine-gun that killed at least 20 people during the massacre, and commanded execution squads that killed the others.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article