Court blocks movie about cannibal's exploits
3 March 2006, KASSEL, GERMANY - A court Friday blocked the German release of a movie about the exploits of a self-confessed cannibal who mutilated and ate another man five years ago.
3 March 2006
KASSEL, GERMANY - A court Friday blocked the German release of a movie about the exploits of a self-confessed cannibal who mutilated and ate another man five years ago.
The film was inspired by the real life story of Armin Meiwes, who is currently being retried for killing a willing victim he met through an internet chatroom.
The unauthorized movie was set for release in Germany on March 9 and is entitled Rohtenburg, similar, but with a letter H added, to the name of the small town where Meiwes lived and carried out the bizarre act in a ramshackle manor house.
A state court sitting in Kassel ruled that the personality rights of the real "cannibal of Rotenburg" outweighed the right of artistic freedom.
The court said the huge media interest aroused by the unprecedented case did not justify making the killer the object of a horror movie.
Meiwes, 44, sought a legal ban on the low-budget feature film telling the story, saying through his lawyer that he resented his portrayal as a "bestial killer".
Meiwes is serving an eight-and-a-half-year prison term after being convicted two years ago of manslaughter. Prosecutors obtained a retrial after complaining that he should have been convicted of murder.
The movie was directed by Martin Weisz, 39, a German-born maker of music videos, according to German film distributor Senator. The production company has been named as U.S.-based Atlantic Streamline.
Meiwes' lawyer Harald Ermel said earlier that his client had not consented to the making of the film, where he is played by prominent German actor Thomas Kretschmann.
At his trial, the court heard how Meiwes made a video of how he mutilated and then ate his victim, 43-year-old Berlin engineer Bernd Juergen Brandes.
Subject: German news