Child killer unlikely to enjoy damages award: prosecutor
A murderer awarded damages because German police threatened him with violence in an attempt to find out where he was holding a kidnapped boy is unlikely to enjoy the money, an official said Friday.
A court on Thursday awarded Magnus Gaefgen, 36, more than 3,000 euros ($4,265) in damages because his "human dignity" was violated when police threatened him with "unimaginable pain" if he did not reveal his victim's whereabouts.
Gaefgen, who had in fact already killed the 11-year-old, was arrested after picking up a ransom. The boy's body was later found in a lake.
Doris Moeller-Scheu, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office in Frankfurt where Gaefgen was jailed for life for the 2002 murder, said the damages would likely go towards paying off part of the 71,000 euros still owed by him for earlier court costs.
"The matter is currently under review and will be decided once the award for damages has been made final," she said.
In awarding Gaefgen 3,000 euros plus interest, presiding judge Christoph Hefter on Thursday said the killer had been the victim of "serious rights violations" that could not be rectified under German law without the payment of compensation.
The policeman who questioned Gaefgen after the child's disappearance, along with a senior colleague, wase convicted of making threats in 2004 and fined but their sentences were suspended.
© 2011 AFP