Britain warns travellers of 'high threat' in France, Germany
Britain updated its travel advice for France and Germany on Sunday, warning there was a "high threat of terrorism" as it backed a similar US alert about possible attacks across Europe.
"We can confirm that the travel advice for France and Germany has been updated," a Foreign Office spokeswoman told AFP.
"Like other large European countries, they have a high threat of terrorism, which is reflected in our updated travel advice."
The updated travel advice for France and Germany on the Foreign Office website (www.fco.gov.uk) warned that "attacks could be indiscriminate, including in public places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers".
Britain had previously identified only a "general threat" in the two European countries.
The move came shortly after the US State Department issued a travel alert for Europe, warning of "the potential for terrorist attacks" and urging Americans to take precautions in public places and transport systems.
"Current information suggests that Al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks," the State Department alert said.
It said attackers may use "a variety of means and weapons and target both official and private interests," and that particular targets could be railways, subways and other tourist infrastructure.
The alerts follow news reports in the past week saying Western intelligence agencies had uncovered an Al-Qaeda plot to launch commando-style attacks in Britain, France, Germany and the United States.
British Home Secretary Theresa May said on Sunday that the new US travel advice was in line with London's assessment of the threat.
"Our threat level remains at 'severe', meaning that an attack is highly likely," she said.
"We work closely with our international partners in countering terrorism and the US advice is consistent with our assessment."
May added: "As we have consistently made clear, we face a real and serious threat from terrorism."
Britain has been hit by a series of failed attack plots since four suicide bombings on three London Underground trains and a bus on July 7, 2005, left 52 people dead.
© 2010 AFP