Bayreuth festival in turmoil after director departs

22nd June 2004, Comments 0 comments

22 June 2004 , BAYREUTH - The Richard Wagner Festspiele said Tuesday it still is aiming for a complete new production of the "Ring" tetralogy in 2006, though admitting the schedule is now tight after director Lars von Trier suddenly stepped down. "It's an impossibility," festival spokesman Peter Emmerich said about any prospect for postponing the production, noting that many opera artists had already been signed up for the 2006 Ring. "But time is running out," Emmerich added. The search for a new director

22 June 2004

BAYREUTH - The Richard Wagner Festspiele said Tuesday it still is aiming for a complete new production of the "Ring" tetralogy in 2006, though admitting the schedule is now tight after director Lars von Trier suddenly stepped down.

"It's an impossibility," festival spokesman Peter Emmerich said about any prospect for postponing the production, noting that many opera artists had already been signed up for the 2006 Ring.

"But time is running out," Emmerich added. The search for a new director is now under way. The new director would have to come up with an entirely new staging concept.

"It is illusory to think one could proceed from Lars von Triers' ideas," Emmerich said. But the new director would have to accept the cast of performers who have already been signed on.

Lars von Trier surprisingly stepped down in early June. The festival office said that the 48-year-old Danish film director felt that "the dimensions and demands of this Ring staging would clearly exceed his powers".

This year's Richard Wagner Festival begins on 25 July with a new production of "Parsifal" by Christoph Schlingensief. For the last time the "Ring" production of the year 2000 by Juergen Flimm will be staged during the six-week festival.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article