Bad meat seized in Germany as inquiry continues

7th November 2005, Comments 0 comments

7 November 2005, HAMBURG - Health inspectors had rounded up 2.2 tons of turkey meat in the German state of North Rhine Westphalia up to Sunday as a nationwide inquiry continued into a meat merchant accused of selling refuse to sausage factories.

7 November 2005

HAMBURG - Health inspectors had rounded up 2.2 tons of turkey meat in the German state of North Rhine Westphalia up to Sunday as a nationwide inquiry continued into a meat merchant accused of selling refuse to sausage factories.

So far 20 commercial customers of the wholesaler based at Lastrup, Lower Saxony state have been checked.

While inspectors said they believed they had caught up with most of the illegal meat, a small proportion appeared to have been turned into doner kebabs and already eaten in Lower Saxony. There were no immediate reports of anyone having been made ill by it.

The case is the third scandal of spoiled meat to hit Germany within the space of only a few months.

In one case, a hypermarket chain was discovered to have altered sell-by dates on expired, packaged meat and to have put it back on sale. In another, a Bavarian factory allegedly sold 760 tons of refuse-grade poultry off-cuts to food processing plants.

Inspectors moved against the Lastrup merchant two weeks ago after learning that it was buying frozen turkey, thawing it out and selling it as fresh, which is in breach of German food regulations.

NGG, a trade union, said two members working for the merchant told union organizers about the scam at the start of the year, but did not tell police because they were scared of losing their jobs.

A spokesman for the Lower Saxony state consumer affairs ministry said, "I think you can assume the scam has being going for a long time." He said the bad meat had mainly ended up in restaurants and small shops, not in supermarkets.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article