Art seized by Nazis focus of German conference

10th November 2006, Comments 0 comments

10 November 2006, Berlin (dpa) - A conference on restitution of art seized by the Nazis will be held in Germany next year, the head of a Jewish studies institute said Friday. The meeting in autumn 2007 will seek to set guidelines for museums, art dealers and auction houses for artwork seized by the Nazis or as war booty, said Julius H. Schoeps, head of the Moses Mendelssohn Centre for European-Jewish Studies in Potsdam. Schoeps said the meeting would focus on several works of art which changed hands during

10 November 2006

Berlin (dpa) - A conference on restitution of art seized by the Nazis will be held in Germany next year, the head of a Jewish studies institute said Friday.

The meeting in autumn 2007 will seek to set guidelines for museums, art dealers and auction houses for artwork seized by the Nazis or as war booty, said Julius H. Schoeps, head of the Moses Mendelssohn Centre for European-Jewish Studies in Potsdam.

Schoeps said the meeting would focus on several works of art which changed hands during the Third Reich.

About 200 people from Germany, the United States and Israel are expected to attend the congress. 

Earlier this week Schoeps prevented the sale by the New York auction house Christie's and the Andrew Lloyd Webber Art Foundation of Picasso's "Portrait de Angel Fernandez de Soto."

Schoeps heads a group who say they are heirs to Paul von Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, who was a Jewish banker in Berlin.

The group alleges that the Nazis forced Mendelssohn-Bartholdy to sell the painting in 1934. The work is now valued at up to 60 million dollars.

Schoeps declined to comment on legal moves to recover the painting and insisted that there was no link between the battle over the Picasso work and the planned conference.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article