9-11 suspect barred from studying in Hamburg
24 June 2005, HAMBURG - A Moroccan-born terrorist suspect currently being re-tried on charges of complicity in the September 11 attacks was barred by a court in Germany on Friday from pursuing engineering studies in Hamburg.
24 June 2005
HAMBURG - A Moroccan-born terrorist suspect currently being re-tried on charges of complicity in the September 11 attacks was barred by a court in Germany on Friday from pursuing engineering studies in Hamburg.
The court rejected an appeal by Mounir al-Motassadeq, 31, to resume his studies at Hamburg Polytechnic School while he is free on bail during his re-trial proceedings.
Security officials welcomed the court ruling.
"We can't have suspected terrorists like Motassadeq, who pose a threat to society, running around going to school as if nothing had happened," said Hamburg chief security official Ingo Nagel.
"If he is convicted, he'll end up behind bars," he added. "If acquitted, he'll be deported to Morocco. It's as simple as that. There'll be no student visa for him."
The Islamist student currently on trial a second time for his alleged role in the 9/11 attacks has vowed to resist German efforts to deport him to Morocco.
His lawyer, Udo Jacob, said Motassadeq would resist a deportation order served on him last year "to the last court of appeal".
That order is currently suspended while Motassadeq participates in his own trial for being a member of a terrorist organization. Prosecutors say he knew of the plot and helped three of the 9/11 suicide pilots who were Hamburg students.
Under current scheduling, a verdict is expected in August.
He was convicted and sentenced to 15 years in jail at his first trial, but the verdict was quashed on appeal.
Hamburg officials say that even without a conviction for plotting the attacks on New York and Washington, there are ample grounds to deport him. Evidence showed he attended al-Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan.
Subject: German news