Expatica countries
editor's choice

Checklist for moving to Germany

German immigration and residency regulations

Learning German: Passing the critical stage

Public holidays in Germany for 2012

O’zapft is! German Festivals in 2012

Index Last Var.(%)
BEL 20 3083.51 0.32
DAX 9605.08 0.17
IBEX 30 10058.5 -1.04
CAC 40 4387.61 -0.20
FTSE 100 6806.86 -0.05
AEX 397.5 -0.20
DJIA 16272.65 0.46
Nasdaq 4318.933 0.63
FTSE MIB 20298.33 -0.11
TSX Composite 14214.35 0.18
ASX 5415.4 -0.10
Hang seng 22836.96 0.04
Straits Times 3110.78 0.45
ISEQ 20 836.3 0.23
EUR / USD 1.37976 0.67
EUR / GBP 0.82571 0.59
USD / GBP 0.598544 -0.10
Gold 1329.6 -0.13
Oil 108.9 -0.76
Silver 21.28 0.08
You are here: Home Moving to Getting Started Ask our lawyer: Visas, businesses and babies
Enlarge font Decrease font Text size

07/04/2006Ask our lawyer: Visas, businesses and babies

Ask our lawyer: Visas, businesses and babies Can a single entry business visa to visit Germany be modified to make it multiple entry? How do you set up a business in Germany? And what if you are pregnant with a German's child and you want to move here? Expatica's resident lawyer Csilla Ivanyi answers your questions.

Vicki writes:

Is it possible for a Greek citizen to set up a self-employed business in Germany and pay taxes in Germany - assuming that they live in Germany for over 1 year - in order to avoid declaring the income in Greece? What would I need to start out?

Thank you in advance for your help.


Dear Vicki,

As an EU citizen you are, of course, entitled to settle in Germany and work here or establish your own business. As soon as your business is based in Germany you will have to pay taxes in Germany as well. If you don't live in Germany already, you would have to register with the police after moving here, then you will be allowed to work or found your company here without any further work or residence permit. Depending on what type of business you establish, there might be other permissions you have to obtain, though. Please don't forget to do a so-called "Gewerbeanzeige", which is a simple announcement to the authorities that you have started your own firm, and also to make such an announcement at the local tax authority.

Best regards,
Csilla Iványi


Swapnali writes:

I am from India. I have a question regarding business visas for Germany.

My friend had a business visa and he was here in Germany. It was a multiple entry visa. Then he extended it for 3 months and now it is single entry.

Can it be modified to multiple entry?

If it cannot be done, is there any other way for him to come here for a business trip immediately?

Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.


Dear Swapnali,

Unfortunately the information provided is not sufficient to answer your question properly. On the homepage of the German foreign ministry ( you will find a description of the different types of visa. If a Schengen visa, which is valid in all Schengen states, is being extended for more than a total of three months, by international law it has to be turned into a national visa without permission to enter other states. Usually at the same time also the right to enter more than once will be restricted. If you need more detailed information or special advice for a quick solution please contact me directly, because then you should provide me with much more information.

Best regards,

Csilla Iványi


Just what nationality is that unborn child anyway?

Richie writes:

My partner is a German citizen and I am a Dominican citizen. He has asked me to marry him and move to Germany with him. I am afraid because I can't speak the language, and going through the long frustration in getting a visa, also I am 2 months pregnant and he is pushing me to have the baby in Germany. Please can I have some advice on this matter.

PS I would like to know how long it takes to get a visa for Germany after you get married to a German citizen and how long does it take to become a German citizen. I also would like to complete my teaching degree. Please help.


Dear Richie,

If you have a child with a German citizen, the child is automatically German too. It might be a lengthy procedure to get it acknowledged, but if you go to the Consulate together and have the father make an official statement about his fatherhood, it should be possible to get a German passport for the child. You will then be able to claim a visa for yourself.

You can also marry your German boyfriend, and if you want to move over to Germany you will also be able to claim a visa. With German relatives you are able to work in Germany or study, just as you like. With a German spouse you have to live in Germany for three years together, then you are entitled to apply for German citizenship.

Best regards,
Csilla Iványi


7 April 2006

Send a question to Csilla Iványi at

This article contains information of a general nature and should not be considered as legal advice.

Although the greatest care has been taken in drafting this article, it is possible that certain information may have become outdated or inaccurate since its publication.

Copyright Expatica 2006

Subject: Life in Germany, legal advice, ask our lawyer

0 reactions to this article

0 reactions to this article

Looking for a job?

Browse all jobs
ask your question
Discussion Forums

Personal Finance in Germany

Expatica's Midweek Currency Update

Healthcare in Germany

Dutch or German Healthcare ?

Community Noticeboard Germany

English Comedy in Berlin

Personal Finance in Germany

Monday's Currency Update

Personal Finance in Germany

Weekly currench crunch

participate in the forums

Inside Expatica
The ABCs of the German school system

The ABCs of the German school system

What you need to know about German schools and daycare.

German immigration and residency regulations

German immigration and residency regulations

Want to move to Germany but haven’t figured out the details? Check out Expatica’s overview of the German permit system.

Driving in Berlin: Rules, habits and fines

Driving in Berlin: Rules, habits and fines

In part one of our two part series, we cover the driving culture in Berlin, where to park and buy gas and, most importantly, the laws.

Looking for work in Germany: The in depth version

Looking for work in Germany: The in depth version

Our comprehensive guide includes information on how to find work, recruitment agencies, employment contracts and labour law.