Yemen minister express 'sorrow' at Sanaa violence

19th September 2011, Comments 0 comments

Yemen's government expressed its "sorrow and condemnation" of the violence Sunday that killed 26 people during anti-regime demonstrations, as six new civilian deaths were reported Monday.

"The government of Yemen expresses its sorrow and condemnation for all acts of violence and bloodshed as those happened yesterday in Sanaa," foreign minister Abu Bakr al-Kurbi told the UN Human Rights Council.

"The government will investigate and hold accountable all those who were in charge of these acts," he added.

"It is unfortunate that these events occurred at a time while some solutions for the political crisis started to appear," said the minister.

"The widespread proliferation of weapons in the hands of Yemenis unfortunately makes things more complicated in such circumstances," he added.

Yemeni security forces opened fire on anti-regime demonstrators in Sanaa on Sunday, killing at least 26 and wounding hundreds after lobbing mortar rounds at the home of a powerful dissident tribal chief.

Witnesses said snipers and security forces killed six civilians in Sanaa on Monday.

Demonstrations against Yemen President Ali Abdullah Saleh have been raging since January.

Saleh, who is recovering in Saudi Arabia from wounds received in an explosion in Sanaa in June, last week authorised Vice President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi to negotiate a power transfer with the opposition.

But the opposition has dismissed calls for dialogue before Saleh, in power since 1978, signs a Gulf-brokered deal that would see him hand power over to Hadi in return for amnesty from prosecution for himself and his family.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article