UN rights council calls on Kyrgyz government to probe crisis

18th June 2010, Comments 0 comments

The UN Human Rights Council on Friday called on the Kyrgyz government to conduct a full and transparent probe into violence that broke out last week in the south of the country.

In a resolution adopted by consensus, the council "calls upon the government of the Kyrgyz Republic to conduct a full and transparent investigation that holds perpetrators accountable for the loss of life in relation to the events of 7 April 2010 and during the recent inter-ethnic violence."

In April, some 87 people were killed in the popular uprising that ousted president Kurmanbek Bakiyev and triggered a change in the country's government.

The resolution tabled by the United States and Kyrgyzstan originally focused on the events of the April uprising, but was broadened this week to add recent violence.

Introducing the resolution to the council, US ambassador Eileen Donahoe said the United States is "deeply concerned and deplores the recent inter-ethnic violence in Kyrgyzstan and the tragic loss of life there."

She hoped that the resolution would "make a constructive contribution going forward."

In a statement to journalists, the ambassador also said that "the adoption of today's resolution on Kyrgyzstan demonstrates that council member states can work together to respond to a crisis situation virtually in real time."

The resolution "strongly condemns the human rights violations committed during the protests surrounding the change of government and also condemns the provocations and violence in Osh and Jalalabad."

In addition, it asked the international community to provide relief and assistance to the country.

The towns of Osh and Jalalabad are at the centre of the violence that erupted a week ago in southern Kyrgzstan, forcing some 400,000 people to flee from their homes.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article