UN rights chief condemns renewed violence in Yemen
UN human rights chief Navi Pillay on Tuesday condemned a new surge in violence in Yemen in which more than 30 people have beem killed including three children.
"Unarmed civilians, including very young children, have been shot and left dead or with serious injuries," said Pillay, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
"It is appalling and extremely disappointing that despite the successive deals and ceasefires, government security forces continue to use live ammunition against unarmed protestors," she said in a statement.
More than 30 people have been killed since last week in clashes in Yemen's second largest city of Taez, medics said Tuesday.
The opposition has blamed the regime for the deadly violence.
Pillay called on both the Yemeni security forces and armed anti-government forces to exercise restraint.
"Violence is certainly not the way to resolve the current difficulties Yemen is facing," she said.
"The government must immediately ensure that lethal force and heavy weapons are not used against peaceful demonstrators."
Pillay called for an independent investigation into the human rights violations in Taez and said those responsible must be brought to justice.
She also asked that her staff be given immediate access to assess the human rights situation on the ground.
© 2011 AFP