UN experts 'outraged' at Iran's teenage execution

22nd September 2011, Comments 0 comments

UN experts on Thursday condemned Iran's public execution of a teenage boy convicted of killing an athlete billed as the country's "strongest man."

"We are outraged at the execution practice in Iran despite the international community's and our repeated calls for a moratorium," said the four experts who include the UN investigator on Iran, Ahmed Shaheed.

"There is an absolute ban on the death sentence against persons below the age of 18 at the time of commission of the offence under international human rights law", they said.

"Any judgment imposing the death penalty upon juveniles below the age of 18, and their execution, are incompatible with Iran's international obligations," they added.

Besides Shaheed, the other three UN experts are Christof Heyns -- the special rapporteur on summary executions, Juan Mendez -- the investigator on torture and Gabriela Knaul -- the special rapporteur on the independence of judiciary.

Despite calls by rights activists for an 11th-hour stay of the 17-year-old's execution, Alireza Molla-Soltani was sent to the gallows at the scene of the crime in the city of Karaj, west of the capital on Wednesday.

The teenager was sentenced to death last month for stabbing the popular athlete, Ruhollah Dadashi, to death in mid-July.

The latest hanging bring to 203 the number of executions reported in Iran so far this year, according to an AFP tally based on media and official reports.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article