Two Swiss men may return from Libya

26th August 2009, Comments 0 comments

A Swiss sociologist says that two Swiss businessmen who have been stuck in Libya for more than a year could return soon.

Geneva – Two Swiss businessmen who have been stuck in Libya for more than a year could return soon, a well-known Swiss sociologist with close ties to the Libyan regime told AFP Tuesday.

"The return this evening (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday) is very, very likely," said Jean Ziegler, who is also vice president of the consultative committee of the UN Human Rights Council.

The Swiss plane sent to pick up the men, one of whom worked for engineering giant ABB, is already in Tripoli, according to Ziegler.

Tripoli had already promised to allow the two businessmen to leave the country after Swiss President Hans-Rudolf Merz apologised to Libya for the arrest of one of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi's sons, seeking to end a year-long standoff.

Kadhafi's son Hannibal and his wife were arrested in a luxury Geneva hotel in July 2008 after two of their servants, a Moroccan and a Tunisian, alleged they had been mistreated.

The Kadhafi couple was freed on bail after two days in custody, while the complaint against them was later dropped after a lawyer said the servants had received compensation.

But the incident incited outrage from the Kadhafi family, a freeze on Swiss business, the withdrawal of Libyan assets from Swiss banks and disruption to oil deliveries, while two businessmen were prevented from leaving the North African country.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article